Sunday, March 15, 2009

Keeping tabs

I haven't written about much cooking activity lately — mostly because I have been sticking to tried and true recipes in the recent weeks and not branching out into new territories. It's been a busy time and I've gone for the routine rather than new out of convenience, surely not for lack of enthusiasm. As always, I have a stack of glossy mags lurking on the coffee table with too many pages turned down and recipes marked just waiting for me to try. As an incentive and an easy reference I decided I would make a small-ish list of recipes toward the top of my "try this soon" list:

Tandoori Chicken, Dal Makhani and Naan (Saveur, May 2007)
Wasabi Flank Steak and Miso-Glazed Potatoes (Food & Wine, March)
Sake-steamed Halibut with Ginger and Cabbage (Food & Wine, March)
Monte Cubano Sandwiches (Gourmet, March)
The WHOLE Korean feast layed out in Gourmet this month, but most especially: Soy-pickled jalapenos, cucumber-apple pickle, short rib and vegetable stew, Korean-style Romaine, warm tofu with spicy garlic sauce, sauteed oyster mushrooms, brown rice & barley (and then some!! Yum!)
(Gourmet, March)
Glazed Chicken with Porcini and Crisp Potatoes and Creamed Broccoli with Parmesan (Gourmet, March)
Beef Tenderloin with Aromatic Thai Spices (really interesting technique simmering steaks in water in a plastic bag)
(Food & Wine, April)
Garlic-rubbed Pork Shoulder with Spring Vegetables
(Food & Wine, April)
Lamb Pita Pockets with Tomato-ginger Compote
(Food & Wine, April)
Grilled Merguez Sandwiches with Caramelized Red Onions
(Food & Wine, April)
Warm Spaghetti Squash Salad (Food & Wine, March)
Farro with Green Onion Sauce, Toasted Walnuts & Asparagus (Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson)
Otsu (Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson)
Gnocchi alla Romana
(Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson)
Fettucine with Spring Asparagus Puree
(Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson)
Stir-fried Bean Sprouts (Saveur, April 2007)
Green Goddess Dressing
(Saveur, May 2007)
Ginger Shandy (Food & Wine, March AND an old Saveur I was flipping through today from 2007. Definitely calling my name for spring)
Molasses-Gingerbread Cake with Mascarpone Cream (Food & Wine, April)

There. That's the most pressing of the recipes, I think. (Ask me tomorrow, of course, and I would compile a wholly different list, right?!) I'll keep you posted on my progress through the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment