Saturday, January 31, 2009
I can't get over how great the Ann Arbor District library system is. They have figured out every modern convenience. The hours are great. You can track everything online, due dates, holds, etc. All your notifications come by email—they send reminders when your materials are due. You can reserve anything on the web site and it will be waiting for you in easily accessible shelves near the door. They have terrific new material that I wouldn't expect to find, like Mason-Dixon Knitting and the Alabama Stitch Book. There are multiple self-checkout kiosks. You can even check out framed artwork — and not just dorm room Monets. They have all kinds of unusual prints and original art. Amazing! I am used to libraries that can't even afford to be open on Sundays, have barely moved beyond the card catalog and have little new material. What a great resource! There. That's my two sense.
Friday, January 30, 2009
Spicy Sichuan-Style Shrimp
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 Tb finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1-2 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 2-3 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- snow or snap peas
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3-4 teaspoons chili-garlic paste/sauce
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- Cilantro sprigs, to garnish (optional)
2. Stir-fry for 20 seconds, then add the shrimp and snow peas. Stir-fry the shrimp for about 1 minute.
3. Add the sauce ingredients and continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes over a high heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve at once.The best!!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
So here's to comparing lovely bright tangerines with stems intact to the Big Apple.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
My little disaster turned into an afternoon of pure bliss! I dusted of the cover of my highly-prized, yet never touched Gocco printer. I had gotten the full B-6 kit for Christmas a couple of years ago, but it only came with 5 screens and 10 bulbs. Since Gocco has discontinued production of their printers, I have been saving my Gocco for THE BEST DESIGN EVER for it to be worthy of using my limited supply. I've had the darn thing for over two years. What good is it if I'm afraid to use it. So, today was the day. I love it! I'm totally hooked. I immediately ordered more screens and bulbs despite being jobless (oops!I couldn't resist!) Have a look: