Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mama's BEST Chicken Scallopine


When I went off to Australia for a year during college in 1992, I had never ever cooked for myself before. My mother put together a little book in which she wrote all my favorite recipes. I still have this book and use it often. The spine is completely demolished and the pages constantly fall out, but it is truly a treasure!
One of my very favorites is a recipe for Chicken Scallopine. It's so easy and versatile. I will share it with you here in case you can't read it in the picture above:

Chicken Scallopine

• 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 Tb butter
• 1Tb lemon juice
• 2 Tb chopped parsley
• 2 Tb choped chives or scallions
• 1/4 tsp marjoram or thyme
Pound cutlets out between foil until 1/4" thick. Sprinkle with salt. Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet. Add chicken. Cook about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Turn, sprinkle with lemon juice, parsley, chives and marjoram. Cook about 10 minutes or until tender.

I made it last night with Heidi Swanson's Spring Asparagus Puree on fettucine from Super Natural Cooking and it was a divine combination! As you can see above, I beefed up the amount of herbs. I enjoyed the asparagus puree greatly and had planned to write about that recipe, but quickly realized that the little book from my mom was as worthy a topic, if not more so. I plan to share more from it with you in the near future.

You must try this — it's so good and so quick and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment