Thursday, January 08, 2015

Quilting

I'm here to tell those of you who have been around these parts for a while that the boy has officially graduated to Mister Fizz. We've been married just over two years now (I snuck that one by you, didn't I?!) and "the boy" just doesn't cut it anymore. We celebrated our second anniversary in October in traditional style with gifts of cotton.

In keeping with my personal style, I presented an unfinished gift: This pieced quilt top. Mister Fizz knows me well and made me promise that I wouldn't touch it again until after the busy holiday craft show season. So here we are. Photographing this beauty on the coldest day of winter so far.

I had pieced quilt squares before for various small projects, but have never made a full quilt. Since I wanted it to be queen sized, so I thought I had better stick with a simple pattern. I've been working from this Instructables tutorial and am excited and nervous to put it all together. Wish me luck!

On a quilt-related theme, I once again checked out this oversized The Quilts of Gee's Bend book from the library. I tend to do so about twice a year. It's so inspiring for so many different projects.

Right now, I'm just focused on doing a little bit of sketching every day. The above is inspired by one of Annie May Young's quilts in the book. 2014 was filled with lots of client work with not as much time for new personal work. I'm excited for 2015 and a new year of projects and illustration. We'll see where this goes… 

No comments:

Post a Comment