Thursday, December 20, 2012

Maine Lobster Float-Rope Mats

You know I'm a sucker for all things water, fish or Maine related, right? Well, earlier this month I found myself in a Maine-themed treasury on Etsy right next to this beauty: the Maine rope mat. I couldn't resist. 

The mats from Susan of Maine Rope Mats are made from recycled float-rope used by lobstermen. The rope was used to tether multiple traps together on the ocean floor but has been banned because it can entangle whales. Maine lobstermen are now required to replace float-rope with sink-rope. This has left millions of pounds of unused float rope. Susan works with the Gulf of Maine Lobster Foundation (and makes a donation for every mat sold) to make a dent in the stockpile with these beautifully designed mats. Her color sense is wonderful and they are incredibly sturdy. I love good design for a good cause. 


No comments:

Post a Comment