Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spicy Carrot Sandwiches

Before we return to our regularly scheduled feature of Book Business Tuesdays, I wanted to jump right in with a recipe because I know you guys kinda like it when I do. I had this for lunch yesterday and was itching to write it up immediately. It is an open-faced sandwich with a beautiful balance of flavors -- not to mention pretty and colorful on the plate!  It combines carrots with caraway, something I would never have thought of but works tremendously well. I played around with the Food & Wine version substituting a white bean spread where they called for hummus becaue that's what I had the fixins for and really liked the results. I also garnished with a little fresh oregano instead of cilantro because I thought it would play better with the rosemary in the bean spread. Do what you will ... it's bound to be good!


Spicy Carrot Sandwiches
Adapted from Food & Wine

Serves 4.

2 large carrots, coarsely grated
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt
Crushed red pepper
4 slices of multigrain bread or two 8-inch whole wheat baguettes, split lengthwise and grilled
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white bean dip (recipe below) or hummus
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
Cilantro
Freshly ground black pepper

In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, garlic and caraway, season with salt and crushed red pepper and cook until the carrots are just wilted, about 4 minutes. Let cool.

Spread the white bean spread on the bread. Sprinkle with the carrot mixture and dollop on the yogurt. Top with cilantro, season with black pepper and serve.


White Bean Dip

1 (15-ounce) can white beans such as cannellini or great northern, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 Tb olive oil
2 Tb fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in a small food processor. Puree until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper, to taste. 

2 comments:

  1. Carrots and caraway sounds nearly as good as a Granny Smith apple and caraway. I will definitly give this sandwich a try. Funny story, I loved carrots so much as a baby that I started to turn a little orange. That's the family story, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm… I don't think I've had Granny Smith apples with caraway. Sounds delish! I will have to try. Let me know what you think if you do try this recipe!

      Delete