Thursday, August 20, 2009

Extracting vanilla

When I was at the grocery two days ago, I grabbed a big tub of yogurt as I do on a regular basis. They didn't have my favorite brand, so I chose another. Except that I picked up the wrong tub. I'm a plain yogurt kind of gal. I like to mix it into all kinds of things: smoothies, salads, sauces, dips. You name it; yogurt makes it better. But I mistakenly pulled the vanilla from the case. I didn't even realize it until I made a smoothie yesterday and took a big old sip off the straw. Uck. That awful taste of fake sweetness. Whoa is me, what to do with 26 more ounces of this stuff? Well, today I did some experimenting and found that it's not too difficult to mask the taste in a smoothie: add a tablespoon or so of lemon juice and just a dash of real vanilla extract and voila! Nothing but peach-blueberry goodness.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I felt very thirsty looking at this photo. It looks very tasty. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete