Monday, July 20, 2009

The kindness of neighbors

I don't know if it is because I talk about food all of the time, or if we are just amazingly lucky, but our neighbors seem to be constantly bringing gifts of food to the boy and me. (I am quite sure it is not because we look incredibly undernourished!) Last night we received not one, but two gifts of food from two different neighbors: the gorgeous bowl of cherries and blueberries seen above and delicious homemade kibbeh. This is making me love apartment living.

I went ahead and made a purslane and cucumber salad after my post last week about the purslane. Being a succulent, the leaves are thicker than most greens giving it an incredible texture and it has a delicious, slightly peppery taste. I really enjoyed it and thought you might to:

Purslane and cucumber salad

Combine in a bowl:
3-4 c. purslane, chopped (thick stems removed and discarded)
1 medium cucumber
2 scallions
handful of dried cranberries

Dressing:
1/2 cup yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tb olive oil
Handful of mint, chopped
Pinch of ground coriander
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine ingredients for dressing, pour over salad and toss to coat.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment