Saturday, February 07, 2009

Asian market adventure

I have been on a hunt for tamarind paste for a few weeks now. Not a kitchen essential, but there are a couple of recipes I have that use it, including Pad Thai. So last night I had the chance to explore one of the best Asian markets I've ever been to: Huaxing Asia Market in Ypsilanti. I love all the bright colors! I had no idea there would be so many great markets like this here. I looked online and can't wait to check out the others. There were MANY things I had never seen before -- and without being snotty, I used to live not far from NY's Chinatown so I thought I had seen some unusual Asian produce and products.

They have a whole row of fish ball freezer cases:


I did not buy these. There is a separate room for produce with a lot of veggies I've never seen before, including this one:


And one that looks like grass that I've seen before, but still don't know what it is:


Lucky for me, most of the labels have an English translation on them, but this was missing one. They also have all kinds of tanks with live fish, turtles and eels. Here's a box of blue claws being unloaded:
What a great find — I can't wait to go back. Look for a post with the pad thai recipe if it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment