Thursday, January 29, 2009

Comparing apples to oranges

I am posting this lovely tangerine because it brought some cheer to my otherwise cheerless afternoon. I made the rounds at the local temp agencies today and could hear the crickets chirping. It was a rather demoralizing effort. Thankfully, I went to the busiest agency first: there was one man with me in the waiting area. He had been laid off from GM after 30 years. In the second agency I visited, the lights were literally turned off in the front office as one woman worked in a back corner. My only other experience with temping was in New York. Manhattan will always have actors and newbies, and my temping was during prosperous times. You can imagine the contrast. I know I shouldn't compare, but …
So here's to comparing lovely bright tangerines with stems intact to the Big Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment